Thursday, November 02, 2006

Ten Reasons I am Not a Mormon

In 1973, I met some Mormon missionaries. I agreed to go through their lessons to see if the LDS church was the true Church of Jesus Christ, as they claimed.

You can read a fuller account of this (and more!) in my testimony, which you can find here.

I could not reconcile what little I knew about the Bible with the doctrines of the LDS church, did not receive a "testimony" about Joseph Smith, and ultimately decided not to become a member of the LDS church.

When I later subjected the truth-claims of Christianity to rigorous examination (and found them to be true!), I did some in-depth research into Mormonism. What I found reinforced my decision in 1973.

I will list here ten reasons why I consider the Mormon gospel to be false. There are other reasons as well, but these are some of the most significant. Follow the accompanying link for more information.

1. No Book of Mormon Geography (link)

2. The "Lost" 116 pages of the original Book of Mormon (link)

3. The Spaulding Enigma (link)

4. No essential LDS theology in the Book of Mormon (link)

5. Plagerism in the Book of Mormon (link)

6. No DNA or Linguistic Evidence of Hebrew Peoples in the New World
(link) (link) (link) (link)

7. The False Translation of the Book of Abraham (link)

8. Joseph Smith and the Kinderhook Plates (link)

9. Joseph Smith and Money-Digging (link)

10. Multiple Accounts of the "First Vision" (link)